Solaris Express is now available as:
- A text installer: this installer does not install any window manager but it can be easily installed using the Solaris package manager (pkg).
- A LiveCD with a GUI installer (does install the GNOME Desktop Environment).
- An automated installer for network deployments.
- USB install images.
If you want to discover what's new in this release, have a look at this presentation. The most important features I was waiting for are:
- Boot Environments.
- Fast Reboot.
- IPS packaging system.
- Boot Environments for Zones.
- ZFS as the default file system.
- ZFS deduplication.
- ZFS diff.
- ZFS dataset encryption.
- Network virtualization (Project Crossbow).