Exception in thread "LogStash::Runner" org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException: (NotImplementedError) stat.st_dev unsupported or native support failed to load
It comes out that a long standing issue (affecting Solaris instead of FreeBSD) exists from quite a while: https://logstash.jira.com/browse/LOGSTASH-665. As far as I can see, the same problem now affects FreeBSD 10.0. I added a comment on that issue and opened another one: https://logstash.jira.com/browse/LOGSTASH-1819.
Edit: I've managed to patch Logstash to work on FreeBSD 10 and I've sent a pull request upstream. Until the pull request is merged and Logstash updated (which it can take forever), you can use a new FreeBSD port I've created to install Logstash on FreeBSD 10. This port is meant to substitute the outdated Logstash port in the FreeBSD port collection. I'm in talks with the port maintainer and hopefully it should not take long.
Update and WorkaroundSince the stack trace and the nature of the error itself suggested this is a JRuby bug rather than a Logstash one, I opened an issue (Issue #1754) on JRuby's GitHub Repository. Kevin Menard quickly replied and pointed me to the right track sending me several existing issues regarding a JRuby dependency (jnr-ffi) chocking on FreeBSD 10.0 libc.so ld script (libc.so is a symbolic link in earlier FreeBSD releases).
I couldn't try it until today, when Michael (no more details are given) left a comment to this blog post (see below) pointing at the same reason Kevin gave and the suggestion of trying it in a FreeBSD jail using ezjail.
I confirm that running Logstash in a FreeBSD 10 jail where the existing libc.so is substituted with a symbolic link to the corresponding binary in /lib solves the problem and provides an easy-to-implement workaround to install the latest Logstash release in a FreeBSD 10 environment.
Current StatusI wish to update this post since I've been asked many times about the status of this issue. It turns out that the problem with running Logstash on FreeBSD 10 seems to lie on jnr-ffi bug for which push requests have been sent at least three times:
I hope the push request is finally included upstream. If you are waiting for this issue as well, please vote it and make your voice heard.